Friday, December 9, 2011

Geeks, Friends, lend me your ears!


 (Ahmad Tanji giving the audience an acoustic vibe)

               Lead vocalist and guitar player Ahmad Tanji from the band Your Imaginary Friends performed 4 songs at our class last Tuesday, December 6, 2011. He played “Oh, Liza”, “Baby, You’re Going to Hell”, “She’s All Sirens (And I’m All Fiction)”, and “Hey Rowena”. According to him, their genre hasn’t been set it stone but they thought it was hovering around pop, indie, or alternative, I forgot. Since he was alone, he did not have the support of his other band mates so it gave his solo performance an acoustic vibe. Given that our classroom was small, it made everyone very chillax. With his guitar, he started playing their songs; I felt chills down my spine. I never really attend concerts but I’m glad I got to experience this. He didn’t play anything fancy with his guitar but his voice changed the way I appreciate these kinds of music. His voice was mellow, it really suites the type of romantic music he plays. I believe the kind of talent he has comes rarely nowadays. Although I would likened him to a Filipino version of Jason Mraz, I feel that he forces his voice and not let it flow naturally. Overall, I would give him 5 stars because he was just awesome to listen to. I was instantly turned into a fan after just listening to him play.



              My absolute favorite album is something geeks like me will never ever forget. For those who have emotionally invested their time playing Final Fantasy X on the PlayStation 2, you will never forget those tunes that play over and over again while you play. Although a piano version of the game’s tracks, it delivers a totally new experience to you, giving you an eargasm every time you listen to it. Originally composed by the famous Nobuo Uematsu, the piano’s version was arranged by Masashi Hamauzu and performed by Aki Kuroda. The album contains a piano-ed version of some of the main sequences in the game, some sounding familiar while others changing drastically. If you're one who appreciates classical music, this one is truly for you (and the game btw). Every piece was composed magnificently, things like these make me wonder what kind of creativity these composers have. Every time my favorite track "To Zanarkand" plays, all the emotion comes rushing back to me and I'd like my 12 year old self tearing up as Tidus (the protagonist of the game) prepares for all the emotional (not the typical emo) stuff that's about to happen. Every track is like a time machine to my emotional childhood experiencing this. Knowing that the game will be remade for the PlayStation 3, I am excited to feel everything all over again that i have missed so badly.

People who share the same sentiment as me would know what I mean.


-Raymond Yam

No comments:

Post a Comment